Thursday, September 2, 2010

Got an Old Pair of Jeans Laying Around??

Here's an idea for you if you have old holey jeans laying around. I happen to have several "old" jeans or worn out jeans that have holes in the knees etc...,laying around in my "I need to patch those up or make some sort of use out of them" pile! I tried patching Craig's jeans without success.The patches kept coming off.These holey jeans are just everyone's "work" jeans and I hate to have to go out and buy something for them to "work" in and ruin anyway. So,I still have my pile thankfully because I was taught a better way to patch those darn holes up.But,before my learning session occurred,I had a brilliant idea that came to mind when I was going over my pile of jeans.I had remembered one time being at a friends house and noticing a potted plant that someone had given to her.It had the top part of a pair of jeans on the outside of the potted plant.Kind of a cute idea, I thought to myself.For several weeks prior to this new found idea,I had been looking for some potting material for my hanging baskets.I had used spanish moss before and some other types of basket material,but,my plants always seemed to dry out really fast and,well,die on me....
I kept hoping to come across some "new" innovative idea in the garden centers for these hanging baskets and kept coming up with nothing...soooooo back to that moment,with jeans in hand....
I thought,couldn't I just use the jean material on the inside of the basket?Wouldn't it help to retain some moisture and yet provide drainage AND look really cute at the same time??
OF COURSE!!I got right to work and "tried" on different sizes of jeans for my different sized baskets and found ones that seemed to fit the best.I wanted to be able to have most of the waist part of the jeans folded over the edge of the basket,so when I put the dirt in,it wouldn't cave in and also it would add to the "cuteness" of the basket.I made sure I cut the jeans off in shorts style and overlapped the insides of the leg holes and then cut up more jean strips off of the remainder of the jean legs to fill in any gaps.It worked wonderfully.
I was so pleased with my little baskets and glad that I was able to do something with some of the jeans that I felt hopeless about.Also glad that I didn't use all of the jeans and learned how to patch properly....now I just have to get into my sewing room and put the good knowledge to work!!

No comments: